About Rainforest Protectors Trust
The objective of Rainforest Protectors Trust is to "Protect land for conservation, and conservation activities such as reforestation, research and education" in Sri Lanka. The Trust, a legal entity registered with the Land Registry - Colombo (Registration# 07/07 of 2017/01/25), works towards purchasing and permanently protecting privately held rainforest lands rich in bio-diversity that are on sale and in danger of being destroyed.
Rainforest Protectors Trust consists a Board of Trustees who are dedicated towards the conservation of rainforests. The trustees continuously look for threatned rainforest land in need of protection as well as reaching out to donors for funding towards the purchase and permanent protection of these lands.
- Sriyantha Perera (Settlor)
- John Wilson (Chairperson)
- Chrishantha De Silva
- Chamara Ratnaweera
- Chullaka Hapuarachchi
- Manjula Priyadarshana
- John Wilson (Chairperson)
- Kishan Ratnayake (Chief Financial Officer)
- Sagara Gamage
- Dr. R. Bandaranayake
- Jayantha Wijesinghe
- Malintha Sandanayaka
- Rozanne De Silva
- Thilini De Simon
- Saman Perera
The lands purchased and protected by Rainforest Protectors Trust are managed by Rainforest Protectors of Sri Lanka, a non-profit volunteer organization registered under Central Environmental Authority (Registration# 6/6/17/01/146). Degraded areas are reforested with native trees and walking trails are created where applicable.
Objects of Rainforest Protectors Trust
- The Trust has been established to protect land for rainforest conservation, and conservation activities such as reforestation, research and awareness.
- The Trust allocates management and conservation related activities such as building and maintaining conservation and research centres and reforestation of its land to Rainforest Protectors of Sri Lanka non-profit organization (registered under Central Environmental Authority Regulation No. 6/6/17/01/146) in the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
- The Trust will ensure that bio-diversity and bio-mass of lands purchased under the Trust are not altered except for removal of invasive species to be replaced with native species.
- The Trust will secure that all funds donated and/or generated through own activities will be re-invested in above mentioned objectives.
Use of Donations towards the Trust Fund
All donations towards the Trust fund that are earmarked for a specific project, will only be used towards the purchase and protection of
the specified property. In the event the Trust fails to raise enough funds in time to purchase the property before being sold to another 3rd party,
the Trust will ensure that the funds are used to purchase and protect a similar property. All donations that are not earmarked for a specific project,
will be used to purchase and protect the next available property.
Currently, the Trust does not employ any paid staff members. Therefore, 100% of the donations go towards the projects which include payment to the seller of the property, legal fees, surveyor fees, bank fees and government tax.
- 2023 Audited Financial Statement
- 2022 Audited Financial Statement
- 2021 Audited Financial Statement
- 2020 Audited Financial Statement